Monday, May 12, 2008

The Girls are Holding Their Own

The girls are already 11 days old. It's hard to believe, even though it has been hard and long. Anytime I see "Hospital" on the caller I.D., it makes me tense up. Yesterday, one of the babies' doctors called and actually gave us some good news. He told me first that both girls would be started on feedings. They seem to be tolerating it well. The next thing he said was that Kamryn was doing well on her breathing, and they wanted to try her on cpap, which is the nostril ventilator. They tried it without removing the tube, and it didn't go well. They are going to try it tonight with removing the tube. That makes us nervous. We pray she will do well with that. As far as her fingers, we won't be able to tell anything yet, we just have to wait it out. Then, the doctor asked me what the cardiologist had told me before. I said that he told me Kamryn still had a large PDA. He said that's what he thought, but that he talked to the other cardiologist and that one said her PDA actually looked a good bit smaller that the last one. He didn't understand why it did, since she wasn't on medication for it. I just smiled and replied, "I Know why." This is a Christian doctor, and he said that he agreed with me, and added, "the power of prayer." He didn't hear a murmur, and said he suspected that the PDA was closed. After doing the echocardiogram on her today, they said that it was only a small PDA, and that they would not do surgery at this time. Keep praying, it's working. Taylor seems to be doing well also. Her head isn't showing signs of swelling, which is good, and we feel God will handle this situation as well. Thanks to everyone for your prayers.

6 comments:

Hilary said...

Whoo-hoo!! I am celebrating with you over these gains. We will keep praying and tell the girls to keep growing strong.

Chita said...

Praise the Lord! I have been anxiously awaiting any news - tried to call you today, but it was busy. Please add my e-mail address to the updates - it is just like Frank's, except with my name. Giving thanks to the Lord for His great works in both of those precious little girls! Thank you, Lord! Still praying! Chita

Lew and Brandi Johnson said...

Praise to the Lord on High! We are just thrilled to hear good news! We continue to pray for them and both of you as you shoulder these days. The Lord is carrying you through and answering prayers for His little girls :)

Unknown said...

Hallelujah!!! We've prayed for you and your sweet girls often and I praise Him for the ways He is answering! I praise Him for the testimony I know you guys are to Him. We're praying for STRENGTH and peace for both of you.

Emily said...

Ted & Kerri,
I am so happy that I am witnessing the power of prayer! God does answer prayers & I know there are many, many prayers going out on behalf of you & your girls! We will continue to pray everyday for all of you & can't wait to hear more & more good news!
Kevin, Emily, Eli & Joshua Carlew

Bo, Tori, and Brayden said...

Ted and Kerri, a good friend of mine has your story on her blog and I just read it. Your girls are beautiful! God is amazing! We will keep your family in our prayers. That's amazing about the cpap. I had a cousin born at 27 weeks and he was on the ventalator for 6 weeks before going to cpap. Every little step up- you cheribsh and are proud of them! God Bless!